While there were rumors the Academy was looking into a January ceremony date, it appears the Academy decided to stick to the last Sunday in February. Deadline.com's Pete Hammond reported in November that finding an earlier ceremony date was problematic, with the NFL taking up dates for games and Feb. 3's Super Bowl.
There was a small change with the date of nominations announcement, however. It has been moved up a week and a half — to
One big change for the 2013 Oscars will be electronic voting. The Academy is partnering with Everyone Counts Inc. to "exclusively develop an electronic voting system," according to a January press release. Before the Oscars, the Academy plans to "undertake a rigorous security and user-acceptance testing process" for an electronic voting system.
The ceremony will take place at the Hollywood & Highland Center, in the theater formerly known as the Kodak.
Other keys dates were announced Sept. 18 by the Academy. Nominations were moved five days earlier — than the date announced in March — to Jan. 10 "in an effort to provide members and the public a longer period of time to see the nominated films," according to the Academy.
Electronic voting will also be an option for members, as previously announced as a possibility, in specific categories. "In the pre-Nominations phase, members will continue to vote via paper ballot in eight categories due to specialized screening schedules and processes," the news release said. "Those categories are Animated Feature Film, Animated Short Film, Live Action Short Film, Documentary Feature, Documentary Short Subject, Foreign Language Film, Makeup and Hairstyling and Visual Effects."
- Friday, Nov. 30, 2012: Official Screen Credits due
- Saturday, Dec. 1, 2012: Governors Awards presentation
- Monday, Dec. 17, 2012: Nominations voting begins
- Thursday, Jan. 3, 2013: Nominations voting ends 5 p.m. PT
- Thursday, Jan. 10, 2013: Nominations announced 5:30 a.m. PT, Academy's Samuel Goldwyn Theater (five days earlier than previously announced)
- Monday, Feb. 4, 2013: Nominees Luncheon
- Friday, Feb. 8, 2013: Final voting begins
- Saturday, Feb. 9, 2013: Scientific and Technical Awards presentation
- Tuesday, Feb. 19, 2013: Final voting ends 5 p.m. PT
- Sunday, Feb. 24, 2013: 85th Academy Awards presentation
The Gold Knight will, of course, be covering all angles of the 85th Academy Awards — from the film festivals to the Red Carpet. Follow all the news here, on Twitter, Facebook and Tumblr.