The Short Films and Feature Animation Branch Reviewing Committee viewed the eligible entries in Los Angeles and created the shortlist. Short Films and Feature Animation Branch members will select three to five nominees from among the 11 titles on the shortlist. Branch screenings will be held in Los Angeles, New York and San Francisco in December, according the Academy.
Here are the Live Action Short films in contention, listed in alphabetical order by title, along with their production company:
- “A Fábrica (The Factory),” Aly Muritiba, director (Grafo Audiovisual)
- “Asad,” Bryan Buckley, director, and Mino Jarjoura, producer (Hungry Man)
- “Buzkashi Boys,” Sam French, director, and Ariel Nasr, producer (Afghan Film Project)
- “Curfew,” Shawn Christensen, director (Fuzzy Logic Pictures)
- “Death of a Shadow (Dood van een Schaduw),” Tom Van Avermaet, director, and Ellen De Waele, producer (Serendipity Films)
- “Henry,” Yan England, director (Yan England)
- “Kiruna-Kigali,” Goran Kapetanovic, director (Hepp Film AB)
- “The Night Shift Belongs to the Stars,” Silvia Bizio and Paola Porrini Bisson, producers (Oh! Pen LLC)
- “9meter,” Anders Walther, director, and Tivi Magnusson, producer (M & M Productions A/S)
- “Salar,” Nicholas Greene, director, and Julie Buck, producer (Nicholas Greene)
- “when you find me,” Ron Howard, executive producer, and Bryce Dallas Howard, director (Freestyle Picture Company)
We are 41 days away from the 85th Academy Awards nominations announcement, which will be announced live on Thursday, Jan. 10, 2013, at 5:35 a.m. PT.
The 85th Academy Awards, for outstanding film achievements of 2012, will be presented on Sunday, Feb. 24, 2013, at the Dolby Theatre at Hollywood & Highland Center, and will be televised live on ABC and in more than 225 countries worldwide.