Monday, January 14, 2013
Fashion review: 2013 Golden Globes
By The Gold Knight on Monday, January 14, 2013 - Comments : 1
By Sarah C. Lowendick
When I hear the words "Red Carpet," I immediately think of superior fashion and get excited. I love awards shows, but my favorite part is the fashion — as you all know. I love to be shocked, thrilled and interested. Unfortunately, at this year's Golden Globe Awards, celebrities were playing it more safe — overall much more conservative — making it a little more difficult to make decisions for my Best/Worst Dressed List.
There was a continuing theme of black and white — and not just on well-dressed actors. Of course, there were some bold, bright color choices, which I always enjoy. Lots of leg and high-cut dresses made a statement at the Globes. Also seen were a lot of floral prints, but mostly not done well. I really enjoyed how great the men looked and because of this, I think it is finally time to feature an exclusive list: HIS — Hotties In Suits (see below).
As a fashionista and also a woman who enjoys people getting together to celebrate while having fun, I enjoy the Globes. Tina Fey and Amy Poehler were both funny and smart. I loved this dynamic duo and they also know how to dress (even though my first thought at the beginning was, "Christmas is so last season"). Without further rambling, let's see who made my list this year:
3. Julianne Moore in Tom Ford
Golden Globe Winner, Julianne Moore looks absolutely stunning in this simple, yet sophisticated Tom Ford dress. Very age appropriate and excellent blend of the classic black with white accent. Also, can't forget about the red lipstick pop, which was a nice added flare. Moore looked stunning and was all smiles.
2. Sofia Vergara in Michael Cinco
Always stunning, Sofia wore a beautiful beaded black sweetheart neckline dress. This curve hugging dress had a powerful presence on The Golden Globe's Red Carpet. Hair and makeup — simple, but stunning. I liked that she wore her hair down blown out, because it really complimented the fitted dress.
1. Zooey Deschanel in Oscar de la Renta, accessorized with Kwiat Pearlss
Zooey is an excellent canvas for this stunning Oscar de la Renta bold red strapless dress. She is a beautiful brunette and makes this red dress a statement. I love her pearl accessories by Kwiat. Deschanel is always classy and a bit sassy — I am happy to put her as my #1 Best Dressed of the evening.
1. Jessica Alba in Oscar de la Renta: I appreciated the mute coral color on her bronze bod, but could have done without that statement fuzzy clutch.
2. Best Song winner Adele: I love her and her music. I was so happy to see her win. Even better, she looked the part of a winner. She wore a beautiful Burberry black dress with a statement up-do Adele is absolutely glowing and so happy.
3. Julianne Hough in Monique Lhullier
Julianne didn't get the memo to be more conservative for this show. I truly appreciate her bold glamour and rock 'n' roll edge; however, I don't think it pairs well together on the Red Carpet. The skirt reminds me of Björk's swan dress from the 73rd Academy Awards (note: not a good thing). I like the idea, but it didn't present its self well on Hough.
2. Katharine McPhee in Theysken's Theory
McPhee disappointed me with her black, awkward fit dress. She landed on my list, because I don't even know what piece of this dress to look at. It just seems so miss-matched and does not collaborate. The fabric is a beautiful black silk, but it does nothing for her figure but promote a low neckline and advertise an awkward fit. I really think Katharine (and her stylists) could have done better.
While live tweeting at yesterday's Golden Globes — I got a glimpse of this pink hot mess and I was hoping I didn't see the right angle of this dress. Unfortunately when I saw it again and then later in still shots, I became even more disappointed. Halle Berry is a mega star with amazing beauty, but this dress is distracting and easily leads my Worst Dressed for this year's Golden Globes.
1. Mayim Bialik (or I like to call her, Blossom) looks like a frumpy ice princess. She's beautiful, but she only stands out in a bad way on the red carpet, which is just unfortunate.
2. Lucy Lui and Jessica Chastain: Both of these woman don't know that they are at the Golden Globes. I think they mixed dresses up for their Spring Garden Party or Easter Brunch. Lui in Carolina Herra is way too much — although, I do like the effort. Also, side note, Chastain's mint Calvin Klein does not fit her well — saggy.
New: HIS — Hotties In Suits
Top 3 Best Dressed Actors (Because they need love and attention, too!)
3. Daniel Craig in Tom Ford
You know Bond had to make this list. Craig suited up nicely for the Golden Globe and loved seeing him with the sunglasses on too.
2. Robert Pattinson in Gucci
Okay Twilight lovers, I know you love this man, regardless if you are Team Edward or Team Jacob. He looks simply stunning.
1. Hugh Jackman in Louis Vuitton
The Best Actor winner takes your breathe away in this classic, well fitted suite paired with bow tie. He's got a great look and was all smiles on the Red Carpet and also on stage for his acceptance speech!
George Clooney is still one of the Sexiest Men Alive in this black bow tie suite.